Zoning Department
200 South Hamilton Road
Gahanna, OH 43230

(614) 342-4025
(614) 342-4100 (Fax)

Zoning and code enforcement

The Zoning Division handles various permit applications including those for fences, Planning Commission and signage.  Please refer to the appropriate section in the City Code when completing an application.  Application fees may be paid by cash, check, credit card or money order.  Please contact the Zoning Clerk at 614-342-4025 or via email for assistance in the application process.

Download: Current Fee Schedule, City Code

No new fence shall be erected without an approved permit, which must clearly be displayed during construction.  Upon installation of a fence, please contact the Zoning Division at 614-342-4025 for an inspection.

Download: City Code Chapter 1171Fence Permit Application, Deck Shed and Fence Permit Brochure

Planning Commission, required by city charter, is a commission that evaluates and acts on plans, maps and applications for changes to the physical characteristics of Gahanna and advises City Council on issues concerning the preparation of plans and maps for the future physical development and harmonious improvements of the city.  In cases dealing with zoning changes, amendments or alterations, Planning Commission acts in an advisory role by submitting a recommendation to City Council on the proper course of action.  Visit the Planning Commission’s webpage for more information including hearing dates, guidelines for submissions and estimated timelines.

The Zoning Division is the liaison between developers and Planning Commission.  As such, the following applications are to be submitted to the Zoning Division with the intent to be seen by Planning Commission.  Applications with an * may or may not be seen by the Planning Commission and may be approved administratively, as deemed appropriate by the Zoning administrator.

A sign permit is required to install or erect a new sign or to enlarge or modify an existing sign.  No sign may be installed, relocated, altered or modified prior to obtaining an approved permit.  After the sign application has been approved, the City will contact the applicant and provide a copy of the approved sign permit.  The applicant or property owner must retain the approved sign permit for the duration of the sign installation.  In addition, all signage work must be performed by a contractor registered with the City.

Community Signs
Community signs are used to promote non-profit, non-commercial and non-political organizations along with locally sponsored events taking place in the city.  There is no charge for the permit; however, it must be reviewed by the Zoning Administrator for approval.  These signs measure 47 5/8" by 47 5/8" (one half of the sign structure).  There are eleven (11) community sign structures located at major intersections throughout the city.  These include:

• S Hamilton Rd & Morrison Rd         • Mill St & Granville St*
• S Hamilton Rd & Techcenter Dr   • Morse Rd & Cherry Bottom Rd 
• Havens Corners Rd & Taylor Station Rd   • Stygler Rd & eastbound US-62 
• E Johnstown Rd & Cherry Bottom Rd
  • Stygler Rd & westbound US-62 
• E Johnstown Rd & YMCA Pl 
  • Stygler Rd N & McCutcheon Rd
• W Johnstown Rd & I-270 exit    

* The community sign at this location focuses on Olde Gahanna/Creekside events sponsored by the City and supporting organizations.  Please contact the Department of Parks and Recreation at 614-342-4250 for this community sign usage.

Download: Community Sign Application

Permanent Signs
The City has determined that the individual user's right to convey a message must be balanced with the public's right to be free of signs which unreasonably complete, distract drivers and pedestrians and produce confusion as determined by the Zoning Administrator.  It is the City's intent to provide business and industry in the municipality with equitable sign standards in accordance with fair competition and aesthetic standards acceptable to the community; to provide the public with a safe and effective means of locating businesses, services and points of interest within the municipality; and to provide for a safe vehicular and pedestrian traffic environment.

Permanent signs include: ground signs, monument signs, freestanding signs, pole signs, wall signs, window signs, awning signs, projecting signs and illuminating signs.  In addition to the permanent sign permit application, a commercial and industrial building permit application is required for all permanent signage with the exception of face replacements and signs under 6’ tall.

Download: City Code Chapter 1165, Commercial and Industrial Building Permit Application, Permanent Sign Permit Application

Temporary Signs
Temporary signs include, but are not limited to, portable menu boards, banners, window signs, wall signs, freestanding sign and attention flags. There is no charge for the temporary sign permit; however, it must be reviewed by the Zoning Administrator for approval

Download: City Code Chapter 1165.07, Temporary Sign Permit Application

To find the zoning designation and codes for a particular parcel simply type in an address into the search bar or zoom into an area of the map.  Click on the parcel to get a pop-up with the zoning classification and a direct link to the codes.  In addition, you can expand the legend to see all of the color classifications per zone.