Join Our Team
The Division of Police Is Now Hiring
Now accepting applications from August 18 to September 18, 2023 for Police Officers, Lateral Police Officers, and Communications Technicians!
For information on the hiring process, review the 2023 Applicant Packets and hiring timelines:
Salary & Benefits
Employees of the Division of Police receive competitive salary and benefits packages including:
- Opportunities for advancement and specialized positions after 5 years of service.
- Vacation and Sick leave accrual from date of hire.
- Excellent health insurance including medical, dental, life, vision and a health savings account with dollars provided by the City.
- Reduced health insurance premiums with wellness program and $400 incentive reimbursement.
- Free near site access to primary care and urgent care services for members and dependents.
- Career growth and enhancement with tuition reimbursement assistance.
- Secure State retirement system benefits and other retirement investment options.
- Member fitness center and physical fitness incentives.
- All uniforms and equipment provided with dry cleaning services.
- Superior entry-level and advanced training geared to success.
- Paid Military leave and certified On-the-Job Training (OJT) employer by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- New state of the art Communications Center and new Police Facility in progress.
Do you qualify as a Lateral Police Officer?
Lateral Police Officer Appointments.
Full-time Police Officers with arrest powers, certified in any state within the United States, with no break in service for two (2) years at the time of application, may apply for a lateral appointment without taking the civil service examination outlined in Rule 13. Such candidates recently laid off or placed in a part-time or reserve position after having worked in a full-time position for two (2) consecutive years, may still apply for a lateral appointment, providing the candidate holds an active police officer certification. Lateral candidates must meet the criteria outlined in Section 13.01 and 13.09. Lateral candidates must be approved by the Director of Public Safety.
Please note: Recruiting questions will be answered in a timely manner. Those applicants already in the hiring process should contact the Human Resources Department or assigned background investigator with any questions. The Division prohibits all forms of discrimination, including any employment-related action by a member that adversely affects an applicant or member and is based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, disability, military service, sexual orientation and other classifications protected by law.